[Zope-CMF] centralize skins for multiple cmf sites on same server

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
15 Aug 2002 10:42:32 -0400

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 08:50, george donnelly wrote:
> I'll have to give this a try. At the same time I feel like this whole
> putting-the-skin-on-the-filesystem is anti-zope, that it goes against the
> grain of one of zope's great features: TTW editing.

You can have TTW editing all you like;  filesystem skins solve the
really killer problem of distributing updates safely, which is
*impossible* for TTW artifacts.

Just in case it isn't clear:  skins extend acquisition, by making the
name lookup machinery search additional folders before propagating "up"
from the CMFSite.  You *can* have TTW editing of shared objects;  e.g.,
put two CMF sites in a folder, along with a PageTemplate
'foo_template';  both sites will be able to use 'foo_template' ad lib.
What you *can't* do this way is override a name
(e.g. 'main_template') supplied in the "subsites".