[Zope-CMF] Tasklists, versioning and personal calendars for cmf

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 01:08:28 +0300

Hi all,

I've done a really fast extranet for the purpose of managing projects
in one shared workspace with clients. Putting it together with CMF was
a piece of cake - just modifying some skins and doing a few scripts.
Apetite grows while - for me and for users - while doing these things
and a couple of interesting questions and ideas have risen.

1. Personal / group calendar

This is something that could be done in a million different ways, but
basicly I am looking for no fuss solution that could be easily
maintained while CMF goes onward.

My first thougth was to inherit or modify calendar and events to suit
these needs. Additional fields for event that allows me to set certain
event for person or persons, set a due-date and ? And then create
helper functions to the calendar tool for creating calendar views
where some events overlap - check wether a user has available time on
a certain timeslot etc.

That would be nice. Any thougths wether there is any idea for doing
this? What would be good design choises?

2. Tasks /  Notification

While doing projects with busy people, one thing that would help - is
a possibility to give tasks and make notifications by email about
something that has to be done - for example I migth want to send a
document for a group of people to be read - and to know, when they
have read it and / or commented it.

DC Workflow - having a workflow variables to store info about to whom
the task goes to or something similar? Any thougths or ideas how to
look into this?

3. Versioning of documents, multiple languages

This propably falls to the category of modifying the undo feature and
clever usage of workflow, but still. There are situations - for
example while doing production of multi language magazine, where both
the client who orders the magazine, people who have been interviewed,
translator and editors need to work with the same documents. Comment
different versions and track changes - make sure that changes happen
in all different versions etc.

Now one thing that would help, would be a document type that would
have easy history buffer - with a possibility to render what changes
have happened in each step. Anybody say CVS? ,-) And a really easy to
use interface.

This whole versioning of documents is something that I would like to
stay out of, since I have so little knowledge of it at the moment -
but it would be nice to hear, if others have had some good experiences
and solutions - that non computer people have been familiar with.

-huima