[Zope-CMF] Re: Easier maintenance than through management iface?

martin f krafft madduck@madduck.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:08:48 +0100

--ghzN8eJ9Qlbqn3iT

Continuing this on zope-cmf from a discussion on zope@zope.org. I am
new. I hope Paul won't mind if I repost here. I am almost sure he
reads both.

Paul: thanks for your help so far, I am skipping the "thanks" and
"cool" replies to get to the meat and not to bore anyone.

There are a lot of questions coming. I hope you are patient with me.

I am using Plone btw.

> it's all in portal_skins.  The skins tool is very powerful.

Okay, this is the part I absolutely don't get. I thought that skins
are "skins" i.e. the look that covers the functionality. Apparently
though, skins is just about everything of the site - forms, actions,
templates, styles, anything.

What's the rationale here? Or do I just have a wrong definition of
"skins"?

Also, why are all the files under skins on my distribution Filesystem
objects -- files on my Hdd and not in ZopeDB? Sure, it makes sense,
it's a demo site and I should modify copies of these files for my own
site. But: where do I place these copies?

I am confused because left_slots includes
  here/login_slot/macros/loginBox

but it's in
  portal_skins/plone_templates/ui_slots/login_slot

and I can't see a reason why here should be ui_slots. Or is it because
we are doing slots when left_slots gets parsed.

If I make a copy of a style, where do I place it so it gets used?

Also, do I need to keep any of the Filesystem objects in my site, or
are they there just for the demonstration. Can I remove them after
I provided my own versions? How do I find out what I need to
copy/customize and what not before I remove all Filesystem objects
from the ZMI?

That will be it for now. Thanks for your help in advance!

--=20
  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck
=20
NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc
=20
"out of the crooked timber of humanity,
 no straight thing was ever made."