[Zope-CMF] Why is discussion only available in certain modes with CMF 1.2

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:35:14 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 John_Knutson@candle.com wrote:

> I've been advised to post this here instead of zope-dev.
>
> Using CMF 1.2, I get different behaviour for the same object depending on
> how I come by it:
>
> Following the route from the Home button, when I navigate to a document,
> the document is opened automatically, e.g. with Word or Powerpoint
>
> Coming from Folder Contents or Search, I am first of all placed into View
> mode (the URL has /view appended automatically) and I get the chance to
> 'Reply'.
>
> I have tried this with a Manager, a Member and an Anonymous user and the
> behaviour doesn't change.
>
> News on the other hand, works the same regardless of how I find it. How do
> I impose common behaviour for files, regardless of the route?

Images and Files (I presume that your Word and PowerPoint objects
are stored as Files) need the alternate mechanism to allow for the
following two use cases:

  - Download the "raw" content when traversing directly to the
    object;

  - Present the "framed" view when traversing from a search (e.g.,
    to permit workflow approval).

The "direct traversal => download" bit is pretty hardwired into
the existing Image and File objects (they inherit it from OFS.Image
and OFS.File);  you could probably suppress the "managed" view by
customizing the 'search' template, and suppressing the trailing
'view' added to the URL of the result objects.

Zope Corporation      "Zope Dealers"       http://www.zope.org