[Zope-CMF] Memberdata or profile type?

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
06 Feb 2002 09:56:15 +0000

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 02:33, Chad Nantais wrote:
> I want to have an extended member profile where in addition to the basic
> memberdata (email address, name,etc) members also enter date of birth,
> hometown, gender, and one thumbnail picture of themselves via an upload.
> what's the best way of going about doing this: by adding to the standard set
> of memberdata parameters or by creating a member profile type (maybe based on
> a combination of the document type and the image type) and then limiting each
> member to only having one profile which would be in their root folder? in the
> latter case, how would i limit the allowable number of profiles to 1, while
> still allowing them to edit it?

Certainly the former way is the best.  For the string properties, you
can simply add them as properties through the ZMI.  For the thumbnail,
you would have to extend the MemberData class.  The latter approach
would get messy rather quickly; far better to keep all
memberdata-related properties in the same place, IMO.

seb