[Zope-CMF] DCWorkflow and list object/global actions

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:04:25 -0500

Jostein Leira wrote:
 > What is the purpose of the Category field in the worklist? I thought
 > it was used like this: If a worklist entry has Category="object" it
 > is only shown while viewing/editing (in folder_contents) the
 > object. If the worklist entry is in the Category "global" it is
 > always shown to the user (provided the Guard is valid).

The category is used only by the UI to choose where to put the action on
the page.  A lot of sites, for example, are starting to put the "user"
actions in a bar at the top rather than the left side.  The category has
no application-level meaning.

 > In the project I am working on now, we were planning on using only
 > two workflows. One for objects that has the normal
 > private/pending/published states. Another workflow with only the
 > state published.
 >
 > We are implementing compound documents using the normal
 > private/pending/published workflow. The compound documents are
 > folderish and contain other document elements. The document
 > elements, residing in the compound documents, use the simple
 > workflow with only the published state. The document elements will
 > then inherit its parents' permissions. This works fine, but...
 >
 > The problem is that when I view the document elements I get the
 > History worklist entry from the other worklist. I know I can either
 > do something in the action_box in the skin or change the history
 > worklist guard, but I still think it is strange that there are two
 > methods, one called listObjectActions() and the other called
 > listGlobalActions() in DCWorkflow.py, not returning what I expect
 > (object actions and global actions).

It sounds like you don't need a worklist for your published-only items.
  Just delete the worklist on that workflow, Jostein.

Shane