[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core Subject Qualifier Implementation

Tim Hoffman timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:58:08 +0800

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>Tim Hoffman writes:
> > I would like to add my 2c worth on the general topic of Metadata etc..
> > whilst the topic is currently raised.
> >
> > We have been extending the defaultDublinCore implementation with Hotfix's
> > to add additional elements such as those found in the AGLS, but I have
> > to say
> > it seems to be about the only way to transparently add it to all content
> > objects.
> >
> > I find this starts to show deficiencies in the metadata model as implemented
> > in current CMF because we see inside objects such as all the init
> > methods for content types in
> > CMFDefault actually specifying all of the core dublic core elements as
> > arguments (whoops).
>As I understand it, "CMFDefault" is *NOT* meant as a production
>portal but as an example and a demo. A production portal
>is expected to use the tools in CMFCore along the lines of CMFDefault
>to build portal specific content objects.
>For your own portal objects, you can use your own metadata base
>class in a similar way as CMFDefault uses "DublinCoreDefaultImpl".
>

>Dieter

Hi Dieter

Yep, understood, but there is so much good stuff in CMFDefault, it seems
a waste
to rebuild all of them, especially when I do use all of them.

Also most people building new components are basing their work
on  what is in CMFDefault (ie CMFOptions) which means they are
leveraging the CMFDefault objects, plus the approach, and so they too
are doign the things that happen in CMFDefault (ie specifying all of the
dublincore elements in the default implementation), so re-use in a
CMF that has a different approach becomes problematical.

Rgds

Tim