[Zope-CMF] Rating services - status?

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:47:21 -0500

seb bacon wrote:

> I don't think anyone's done it yet, but for a simple score rating, it
> wouldn't be hard to make a rating an attribute of PortalContent.  There
> should be a better (component-style) way of doing this, but it would be
> difficult without the projected events channel, IMO.
>
> seb
>
> On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 13:32, Babu wrote:
>
>>I've been playing with CMF and figuring out how it can
>>fit an intranet + document library + online communities
>>design that my organization has been thinking about.
>>
>>For that, rating services are probably important - including
>>self rating and rating by others. ie, if I publish a content,
>>others should be able to view it, discuss it and rate it
>>with may be a comment (like Amazon.com). Self rating is
>>where I can specify how important content (mine or others)
>>is to me - it might decide on how I want to get notified
>>when that content is changed.
>>
>>>From Paul's initial vision document for CMF, I saw that
>>rating services will also be a part of CMF. However, I
>>could not find any thing yet implemented - at least not
>>as easy as discussion services.
>>
>>I'm just wondering if ZC is still planning to work on
>>rating services, or is anyone trying it out.

I don't know that it needs an event channel;  I think ratings
could be done via an indirection like that done for discussions:
the discussion / rating would not (necessarily) be stored directly
on the content.

We don't have immediate plans for such a beast, but could
probably incorporate a suitable implementation in CMF 1.3 if
somebody contributed one. :)