[Zope-CMF] Anyone know of a MySQL-based MemberDataTool?

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:27:43 -0500

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:

> I'm a newbie to this list, so forgive me if this sort of question has been
> addressed a zillion times... On a slightly related note, I'm curious to find
> out what membership tools / UFs people are using for authenticating off an
> NT domain?  I'm wanting to do this, and likely would want have roles
> controlled and stored in ZODB, so that just authentication was done off the
> WinNT domain, with some role mapping done afterward.

The CMF membership components (tools, aka "services" in the new
Zope3 lingo) factor responsibility as follows:

   - The 'portal_membership' tool transforms the authenticated
     user, obtained from whatever UserFolder implementation it
     acquires, into a "member";  members add the ability to store
     CMFSite-specific properties to the user, which is only responsible
     for authentication and authorization.  The tool also governs
     location and creation of member folders, if any.

   - The 'portal_memberdata' tool manages both the schema for the
     member properties and the actual storage of those properties.

By design, one should be able to replace either or both of these
tools with other objects implementing their interfaces, and the
remainder of the site should work without changes.  Any dependencies
on the implementations (rather than the interfaces) of the default
tools is a bug.

In your particular case, you should be able to use both stock
tools with one of the available NT-based user folders, since
you don't need to store membership properties outside the ZODB.