[Zope-CMF] i18n for CMF And Plone, backporting i18n to Zope 2.x

Grégoire Weber gregoire.weber@switzerland.org
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 18:58:18 +0200

Hi all!

This thread started last week so in the meantime I took a look at the code
concerning the issue.

What I found:

 - It seems the classes in the TAL-Directory can be backported easyly by
   copying them from Zope 3 (Zope3 head of last week). I couldn't find
   any imports from other Zope3 code than TAL and I18n code.

 - The code in the Products/PageTemplates which uses TAL code directory
   should and could be taken from Zope2 (IMHO)

 - The I18n code relies heavyly on the new Zope3 component architecture
   so backporting work has to be done there by factoring out non Zope3
   related code.

> Sidnei da Silva <sidnei@x3ng.com.br> wrote:
>
> My friend Lalo (lalo@laranja.org) started a rewrite of TAL to make it more=

> pluggable and ease backporting of i18n to Zope2. I dont know how much if=
 it
> is done right now, but the last time I talked to him, he said that only=
 METAL
> was missing.

IMHO it is not necessary to rewrite TAL code to backport I18n ...

> "Joachim Werner" <joe@iuveno.de> wrote:
>
> Stephan Richter, who is in charge of Zope3 internationalization, will
> probably do an "official" backport of the i18n stuff later this month. We
> discussed about that on the EuroPython conference in Belgium, which was a
> great conference ...
>
> The backport will be fully supported by Zope Corp (the guys at Python labs
> will do the TAL/METAL work) and be part of one of the next Zope 2.x
> releases. So I think there is no need to do it yourself. But of course you
> could contact Stephan to offer him some help ...

probably end if this month? -- I am planing to redesign the Website of the
Zope User Group Switzerland till end of september (I hope with a lot of
assistance by the swiss zope community :-). So we probably need a running
version of I18n before end of august (+/-).

Robert and I talked about contributing in backporting I18n, so contact us (or
at least me as I don't want to speak for Robert also) if this still makes
sense ...

By doing this we probably would need some guidance to factor out Zope3 related
code.

Greetings, Greg
Grégoire Weber
Rigistr. 31