[Zope-CMF] CMF version migration

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:38:34 -0700

Jeff,

I just completed a pretty radical upgrade of the same sort of multi
CMF Site structure with some pretty nasty conversion problems. For
reference, the old sites were running under Zope 2.4.3, and CMF
1.1. In addition, all of the 'products' were ZClass based and were
converted to file based during the conversion.

The short story is.. I was able to do the entire conversion (with
the exception of new ZPT based skins) via python script in External
Methods. In my case I chose to duplicate the tree because of
various changes to containers and so forth, but in the future that
should not be necessary. The design and implementation of the
entire script set took < two weeks, but that is only because of my
lack of knowledge, and some mapping exercises I needed to deal with.

My opinion: so long as you are starting with page templates (ZPT),
and file based products, the changes are pretty smooth when done
via script. I would not worry about being able to move all the
sites up to new versions. The trick will be deciding _when_

Note of caution... those that have more information about Zope 3
will need to elaborate on the risks in that environment.

~C

On Friday, July 19, 2002, at 08:34  PM, zope-cmf-request@zope.org wrote:

> Message: 3
> From: Jeffrey_Franks@i-o.com
> To: zope-cmf@zope.org
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:23:31 -0500
> Subject: [Zope-CMF] CMF version migration
>

> Hi,
>
> We have a multi-CMF site prototyped, and it looks very good.
>
> We're about to turn loose content creators.
>
> My concern is that sooner or later, we are going to want to
> update all 7 CMF sites to the next best stuff and am wondering
> how painful those kinds of migrations are.
>
> Right now, we're using Zope 2.5.1 and CMF-1.3-beta1.
>
> Understanding that Zope and CMF are moving targets,
> what kind of problem might we be looking at in the future when
> we have 7 CMF sites full of stuff and need to migrate to a
> newer version?
>
> BTW: This question would not even come up if it were not for the
>      fact that this investigation into using Zope has turned out
>      great beyond our wildest expectations!!
>
> -- jlf

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z