[Zope-CMF] CMF-in-CMF searches

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:13:28 -0400

I tackled part of the CMF-in-CMF problem with my CMFVirtualHost.  It did
what I needed and I had to move on to other tasks, but, depending on your
project's requirements, it might be worth checking out, perhaps as a
starting point.

It is designed to work in only one CMF site, as Tres suggests, but with
different skins etc. for each sub-portal.  If each sub-portal is another
domain (or subdomain), you can use my solution.

I use it with CMF 1.2 and have not tested it with 1.3 or CVS.

My search solution was very rough-and-tumble-low-tech, by the way: for each
subsite's search, include a hidden path field as below.

<form action="search" method="GET"><input type="hidden" name="path"
value="/myCMFsite/myCMFsubsite" />
<input type="text" name="SearchableText" size="16" />
    <input border="0" type="image" name="go" value="go" src="go.gif"
align="middle" width="20" height="20"></form>

This matched with my desire to have the parent site searches include the sub
sites.  You can then set up redirects in the VirtualHostFolder so that links
to the subsite (from the parent CMF site) redirect to the correct sub-site
domain.

I only have one copy of each of the CMF tools--no nesting of tools.  The
search trick above combined with the skinning abilities added in the
CMFVirtualHost made that unnecessary for me.

See
http://www.zope.org/Members/poster/CMFVirtualHostTool
which is an extension of (and requires) my
http://www.zope.org/Members/poster/VHF
which itself requires iuveno's
http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/OrderedFolder
which then in turn is a bit buggy visually unless you include their
http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/ZBabel

If all that doesn't scare you off from my solution, I don't know what will.
;-)

Gary