[Zope-CMF] Metadata tool not used?

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
23 Jul 2002 11:28:51 -0400

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 04:35, Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was playing with the portal_metadata tool and noticed that it's not
> actually used anywhere :-(
>
> In particular:
>
> - initial values of metadata are not set on content, so defaults supplied
> are not used

This one would make sense to do pretty much universally, I think (not
much tradeoff here).

> - validateMetadata is never called, so any policies about fields being
> required, etc, you create are never used

When to apply such policies is a policy choice in itself;  for instance,
some sites might want the policies applied at each edit, while others
might want them applied only at workflow transitions, etc.

> - the metadata forms are all hard-coded so that if you add new elements, or
> change the type of the ones there, the news elements aren't available for
> editing.

Skins are *supposed* to be customized!