[Zope-CMF] to frame or not to frame

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:33:30 -0700

Alan,

I don't think frames and slots are mutually exclusive. Frames are
an HTML construct, and slots are used in page templates. You can
use Frames with either dtml or page templates - look at the zope
management interface(ZMI) -.

My 2 cents... Frames are evil. No really, frames were originally
used when typical access speeds were 14 or 24k to save multiple
frames work really well - ZMI - but generally their more trouble
than their worth. I think you'll find very few publicly viewable
and near zero commercial sites that still used frames.

My rule of thumb... Frames are only an option when the page(s)
being viewed will never have to be printed, and then... only if all
other options have been exhausted. BTW, the last time I thought
about using frames, I used Flash instead ;-). Feed via zope with
XML of course.

~C

On Friday, June 14, 2002, at 09:00  AM, zope-cmf-request@zope.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:23:24 -0500
> To: zope-cmf@zope.org
> From: "Alan W. Presley" <awpresley@hbu.edu>
> Subject: [Zope-CMF] to frame or not to frame
>
> hello all,
>
> I was just curious in taking a poll...
>
> What are your thoughts on building sites (with Zope of course) using
> Frames VS Slots?
>
> Some say Frames are evil, some say they hate having to scroll back
> up to
> the navigation on non-frames pages.
>
> I'd like to know everyone's thoughts of both sides of the issue.
> You may
> reply privately to me if you would rather do so.
> Mailto:awpresley@hbu.edu
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z