[Zope-CMF] LazyFilter and Effective Dates

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:39:25 -0700

As I started this thread, I'll throw in some comments that reflect
my thoughts on the matter.

I see effectivity and expiration as global attributes of the
_object_ itself. I treat them as a primary control mechanism
regardless of what attributes other processes might be saying about
the object.

In this situation it is entirely possible that an object could have
an effectivity and or expiration date that are 'valid' for the
current view context, but have an additional attribute - say review
state - that prohibits viewing in this context. However, an item
with either a future effectivity date, or expiration date in the
past is _not_ viewed regardless of the review state.

I like the separation here. In my implementations effectivity and
expiration serve as an _override_ for all other state attributes. I
would not want to see them get mixed into something like workflow,
which can be unique to every implementation.

I would prefer that effectivity and expiration are namespaces that
are set aside, and _not_ used in any other context.

Finally, after going through the process I agree with comments from
Tres and others... The filter on objectValues() is best applied in
a script. The script may become part of the 'tools' distribution as
a function in CMFDefault.utils or in the standard _content_ skins
folder. I remains to be seen if the community wants that as part of
the distribution.

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z