[Zope-CMF] How do I use effective and expiration date?

Mark Langkau mark.langkau@pbmplus.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 00:04:14 -0600

Does anyone have examples of using the effective_date and
expiration_date metadata items for filtering content? I'm using the
default ZPT skins, Zope 2.4.3,  CMF 1.2, and Python 2.1.1 on Linux.

For example, how would I "expire" a news item, yet allow it to still
show up when a user clicks the "news" menu link? I'm learning to use the
zpt skins, but so far the skins are winning ;-)  I need to filter on
dates, but I'm not sure how to do it with ZPT.

I would like all "published"' news items to show up when I click the
"news" link in the top menu bar. But any news item with a metadata
Expiration Date older than "today" should not show up in the news_box,
or recent_news. I still want to keep all entries as published news
items, so I don't want to "retract" the news item.

I would also like to use the effective_date to "pre-load" some news or
other content, but not have it viewable until some future date.

Unless I'm missing something (probably very simple ;-), this doesn't
seem to be turned on out of the box.

Thanks,
Mark