[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.2: 'private' objects visible to 'Member' users

ernie@iss.nus.edu.sg ernie@iss.nus.edu.sg
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:30:28 +0800

Hi Tres,

Many thanks for your hints. I've been digging a little deeper and have
since arrived at the conclusion that I'm facing two separate problems.

1. [CMF is 'sensitive' to some object types]
When I login as a 'Member' who can 'Add portal content', I observe some
weird behaviour. When I add 'Document' or 'File' objects, I see these and
they are listed as 'Private' (as they should be). However, when I add
'Link' objects, only the 'Manager' or more privileged user can see these.
I, as the creator, cannot see these private 'Link' objects I have created.

2. [Local roles grant more permission than specified]
The problem with authenticated members seeing what they shouldn't may be
related to local roles. I validated this by checking against a folder which
does not have any special access requirements (i.e. all permissions are
acquired). In this scenario, the hiding of 'Private' information works as
expected. However, when I repeat this in a folder which I, as a 'Member',
am granted a local role to 'View' and 'Access content information', both of
which do not acquire their settings from the container, I can see any
'Private' objects created by anyone. This does not apply to folders I am
not granted a local role.

It therefore appears that the default workflow is working. BTW, my problem
is not related to the 'Members' folder issue as these occur in the normal
portal space.

I also wonder whether this phenomenon may be due to some silly security
setting I've got though I still suspect a bug being more likely. Are there
any security verification points I should also look into?

Many thanks -- cheers,ernie.

Tres Seaver <tseaver@zope.com> on 2002-03-15 07:03:24 AM