[Zope-CMF] BlogFace and CVS CMF

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
03 May 2002 11:38:03 -0400

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 00:54, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, 02 May 2002 07:53:48 -0400
> Tres Seaver <tseaver@zope.com> wrote:
> > J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> On 01 May 2002 11:31:52 -0400 Tres Seaver <tseaver@zope.com> wrote:
>
> > One could think of the BlogFace as a customized Topic, in the CMF
> > sense; it extends Topic by pulling additional query parameters out of
> > path elements.
>
> Yeah, I've been thinking of just rewriting BlogFace as a CMF product
> based off CMFTopic.  A possibly stylistic question:
>
>   In writing such products which are really a variant of a base product,
>   when is it smarter to subclass the base product versus copying and
>   editing it?

Always prefer subclassing from "maintained" products;  copy-and-paste
"forks" you away from the source.  In this particular case, you may
have an even simpler option:  instead of creating a new Python class,
create a new type information object atop the existing Topic, and wrap
new skins around it.

For redistribution, you would create a Product which had only the skins,
the setup script, and the factory type registration call (I have done
this on a number of occasions).

See:

  - http://cmf.zope.org/CMF/Members/tseaver/how_tos/taming_types_tool

  -
http://cmf.zope.org/Members/tseaver/how_tos/using_scriptable_type_info

and the Star Office / PowerPoint presentations under:

  - http://cmf.zope.org/Members/tseaver/oss_2001/building_sites/