[Zope-CMF] Questions from a newbie

Jeffrey Franks jfranks@quik.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 17:29:48 -0500

Hi,

I'm a zope newbie trying to sort out what I need to do in
order to customize the CMF portal for an intranet site.
Mission: create a functional site "right away" similar to
SourceForge and Savannah.

According to your docs, this is not a mission impossible.

At the same time, I'm having difficulty sorting out all the
pieces in spite of all the on-line docs and purchased books
[Zope Bible, Zope - Web Application Development and Content
 Management, Zope - Web Application Construction Kit].

I was able to customize the Logo, make some color changes, etc.

Then I tried to modify the "Login | Join" area for
Guest to "Login | Join | Why Join" which I thought would be
a piece of cake did not happen that way for me.

It looks like zpt_generic main_template is the area that needs
customization. According to the precedence relationships for
basic skin, nothing should over-ride zpt_generic main_template
since it is first in the layer list. However, it seems like
both the Registration and Membership tools over-ride various
pieces of this template, i.e. I can't mis-spell "Login" or "Join"
and see the result.

Can someone explain how the "user menu area" of
this template works and how I can make the simple change outlined
above?

-----

As a second approach to understanding skin customization at the
[devil is in the] detail level, I'm looking at

	http://cmf.zope.org/doc/admin/dogbowl_skins/view

Is this doc representative of the Dog Bowl site as it's viewed
today? How would one ever know since there is a disclaimor regarding
this?

-jlf