[Zope-CMF] Approaches to Developing a Weblog for the CMF

Douglas Perry doug@safety.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 16:11:20 -0400

I'm running Zope 2.5.1, CMF 1.3b1, and Plone 0.9.9. I need a weblog or
'announcement" product for the site I'm building. I need a quick solution as
I need to keep this under budget.

One page (the home page of each section of my site) will list all the
entries stored in the DB. Another page will be the actual article page.
There will be a page listing the archives.

I need something simple. A date, a byline, a headline, a lead-in, then a
link to the whole article.

I can approach the problem in the following ways:

Store entries in ZODB.
I'm not sure how this is done? Do I create a catalog and vocabulary for
this? I'm used to developing apps around an RDBMS and using code on the
front side to query the RDBMS and spit out pages.

Store entries in an RDBMS. Develop DTML that stores the entries in a RDBMS.
Make it CMF aware.

Re-purpose a Portal Type item. Tweak News Item? How is that done?

Which is the best solution that preserves the look and feel of my site?