[Zope-CMF] moving HTML-ish site into CMF (and possibly plone)

Dennis Allison allison@shasta.Stanford.EDU
Thu, 30 May 2002 10:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

I have a HTML-ish site which we are planning to move into a Zope portal to take
advantage of the Zope-CMF products and mechanisms.   I have a few issues on
which advice would be helpful:

1.  CMF or Plone?  Or roll a specialized framework?  CMF is a framework and is
missing some stuff; Plone is more complete.  CMF is reputedly relatively light
weight; Plone is reputedly slow.  Plone does a lot of stuff dynamically which,
for our site, will be static--so there's some overhead.

2.  I'm concerned with how the ZPT orientation of CMF/Plone will play with
existing DTML productsi should we choose to use them.  My initial experiments
found some warts in the integration.  Has the situation improved?

3.  Given the overhead of processing ZPT, clearly one does not want to
define HTML-only content as ZPT objects.  Given the ZPT-orientation of CMF and
Plone, HTML-only content shouldn't be a DTML document.  Should content (pure
HTML which won't be munged before rendering) and structured text be stored in
ZOODB File objects?

Thanks in advance for comments and help.  -dra