[Zope-CMF] moving HTML-ish site into CMF (and possibly plone)

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
30 May 2002 17:29:10 -0400

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 14:07, alan runyan wrote:
> > 1.  CMF or Plone?  Or roll a specialized framework?  CMF is a framework
> and is
> > missing some stuff; Plone is more complete.  CMF is reputedly relatively
> light
> > weight; Plone is reputedly slow.  Plone does a lot of stuff dynamically
> which,
> > for our site, will be static--so there's some overhead.
>
> Plone is a skin for CMF.  Plone can be faster if you remove alot of its
> features.
> inlining macros expansions could speed up the system (i.e. in main_template
> inline the left/right column templates).
>
> If you already have your  HTML site and just want to move it into CMF.
> Maybe just
> plain CMF is nice.  I think Plone interface is much nicer and thats what I
> choose to
> expose my clients to.
>
> > 2.  I'm concerned with how the ZPT orientation of CMF/Plone will play with
> > existing DTML productsi should we choose to use them.  My initial
> experiments
> > found some warts in the integration.  Has the situation improved?
>
> dont know.  Plone should work relatively nice with existing DTML.
>
> > 3.  Given the overhead of processing ZPT, clearly one does not want to
> > define HTML-only content as ZPT objects.  Given the ZPT-orientation of CMF
> and
> > Plone, HTML-only content shouldn't be a DTML document.  Should content
> (pure
> > HTML which won't be munged before rendering) and structured text be stored
> in
> > ZOODB File objects?
>
> HTML only content could easily be File objects.

In the CMF, textual content (whehter Structured Text or HTML) normally
goes into Document objects;  these objects are then "skinned" using
presentation methods written either in DTML or in ZPT.  Embedding ZPT /
DTML *into* the content is *not* a feature of the core content objects,
although add-ons for this are possible.