[Zope-CMF] CMF Folder + Metadata?

Christian Theune ct@gocept.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:16:23 +0100

Duane Raymond wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to modify the CMF folder object to be able to have the same metadata
>as other objects and then have sub-objects (i.e documents) inherit this
>metadata by default or enable or to be overridden on a per object basis.
>This is so I can group different types of objects/content together in a
>folder which generally will have the same metadata.
>
>What I wish to know is:
>1) has this been considered before (couldn't find anything on the lists) and
>if so
>   a) has anyone done an implementation
>   b) are others interested in using this type of functionality
>   c) is it be something that should be in future version of the CMF

Sounds like a very special situation of using metadata. Metadata
acquisition isn't what one would like generally, imho.

>2) If nothing like it exists - is someone interested in working with me to
>develop and test it? (I'm only at medium zope/cmf level and learning fast -
>but would need some help) - I'd be working from the CMF AMP (Advanced
>Metadata Product) which I believe will be in the next CMF version?

Hmm. You won't need it. The only thing you need to do is have a maybe
special folder class
 (derived from Skinned or Portal Folder) and make it also inherit from
Dublin Core. I don't have the facts about
the inheritance hierarchy otomh but this is how it should work. Then
make the appropriate actions available to
your "Portal Type" and voila.

I don't know if the CMF AMP would be incorporated. It currently is (in
my eyes - and i wrote it - a fast hack to the required
functionality and it still has a good set of bugs. I am currently
thinking of making it less of a patch, but an alternative implementation
of portal_metadata.
The only problem is, that the DublinCore is *really* hardwired, so this
may have some non obvious problems. Additionally I don't
have any idea about development of CMF. There are quite a few completely
unreleased modules in the CVS, but I nowhere found
some kind of plan describing the current efforts and directions of the cmf.

Cheers
Christian