[Zope-CMF] Variables in content

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:40:24 -0800

I know this has been discussed before, but i've been
searching the nipltd archives and finding nothing relevant.
Links to old threads on this topic would be much
appreciated.

I'm finding a number of cases where variable expansion
in my Documents is not merely desireable, it's essential.
Does anyone have a modified Document.py that allows
something like <dtml-var>?  (I prefer tal to dtml
usually, but I want something dead simple with
minimal syntax: conceptually it's just "evaluate this name
in whatever seems to be the best way and stick the
result here."

one use case is dynamic links. portal_url is an
obvious one, but we have other similar things that
we need to refer to in order to construct the correct link
in the current context. And no, relative links are not
adequate for our purpose: some of them link to external sites
but the URL varies depending on various factors...

I could hack Document.py of course, but i'd be happier
to find that somebody's already done it. :)

will continue looking and follow up myself if
I find something suitable.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com