[Zope-CMF] Subtle problem with skin cookies?

Philip Glaser glaserp@sustainsoft.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:34:41 -0500

Hi,

I'm encountering a peculiar problem with skins in Plone. I began using Plone
pretty much out of the box, and customized a skin. I got it to the point
where it looked good, and someone else saw it from another system. So on two
systems, using the same browser, everything was fine. Then I modified the
look of the login page and in the process cut and pasted quite a bit. The
login sequence works fine, and the skins look fine on the two machines that
had seen the site before modifying the login pages. But on other systems,
even with the very same version of the browser, there are some elements of
the style that don't look right at all: there are borders where there should
be none, and spacing and margins are way off. It's definitely the skin I
created -- it's almost all there, except for these few important
differences.

I'm wondering whether my modification of the login pages might have messed
something up with the way the cookies are set for the skin. So when I had
the original login pages, some cookie got set correctly and so everything
works fine. But on new systems that didn't get that initial cookie, things
don't look quite right.

My login page includes the following code at the beginning:

     tal:replace="nothing">

       tal:define="dummy here/setupCurrentSkin">

Could I have done something wrong here?

Thanks!

Philip Glaser
Principal and Software Architect