[Zope-CMF] One or two products?

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:14:20 +0000

Chris Withers wrote:
> What I'd like to see is either:
>
> 1. One product, called CMF, that you drop into the Products folder, that
> combines CMFCore, CMFDefault and DCWorkflow.
>
> 2. Two products. CMFCore - combining the current CMFCore, DCWorkflow and
> the bits of CMFDefault identified by Yuppie as belonging in the core.
> CMFDefault - a default layer for CMFCore that is entirely replaceable
> and not necessary to use the CMF. Maybe even change it's name to CMFDemo.

Ultimately, I'd like to see all of the above.  We should make it easy
for people to download a simple product which just works; and we should
continue to offer parts of the framework separately for developers.

The principle of keeping core and default separate is good, IMO.  In the
future we may start to see completely new CMF implementations, all
relying on CMFCore.  There's nothing wrong with a single tarball
plopping out two modules into your Products directory.

The first thing people should see is a short explanation, something like:

    The CMF is a framework for building content managed sites.  By
    itself, it doesn't do much.   Most first-time users are likely to
    want to start with a complete, working system, and customise it.

    Currently, there is one widely-supported implementation, called
    CMFDefault.  This provides a member-centred site, with news,
    calendars, personalisation and more, which works in a similar way to
    the zope.org site.

    An enhanced version of CMFDefault, Plone, has advanced usability
    features and extra functionality, and is has its own active support
    community.

    If you are a developer, you may want to download the core framework
    separately.  However, note that the core framework is also included
    in the

    - Download CMFDefault system (most users)
    - Download Plone (or link to plone site) (most users)
    - Download CMFCore (developers)

I agree that we should call CMFDefault something different - something
which describes its function.  I can't think of something apropriate
right now, but here are some suggestions:

  - CMFPortalSite
  - CMFMembershipSite
  - CMFCommunitySite

(I've put 'Site' on the end to differentiate it from cmf products like
CMFTypes etc)

seb