[Zope-CMF] Lost Admin password

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
26 Nov 2002 09:23:53 -0500

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 09:03, Phil Bradbury wrote:
> I guess many have done this, but no-one admits it!  ;-)
>
> Is there any way, given that I have access to the file system on the server
> where my Zope installation resides (a Win2K platform for playing with), of
> either creating a new 'superuser' or finding out what the current details
> are?
>
> I've been tinkering with a plone site and LDAP authentication and in the
> process have somehow managed to mess up the root Admin user password (well,
> I changed it as the site was doing strange things looking in the acl_users
> folder at root level before checking against the LDAP server). Now I have no
> root access to be able to do anything!
>
> I know the username (unless things have completely turned against me and
> this has been altered) but the password is a mystery to me.
>
> Thanks in advance,

This question isn't specific to the CMF;  for "general" Zope questions,
you will likely get quicker response on the main Zope list
(zope@zope.org).

In your INSTANCE_HOME (the directory containing 'var/Data.fs'::

  $ echo 'super:janitor' > access

Then restart Zope, and log in as 'super', with password 'janitor'.
You will be able to reset the "real" manager's password;  note that some
functionality (creating "ownable" objects) can't be done by the
"emergency" user ('super' in this case).