[Zope-CMF] Problems rendering news box

Stacy Roberts Ladnier Stacy.Roberts@noaa.gov
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:57:57 -0500

--------------96A6B3691AB9DA16D1F2E365

You should be fine with just customizing it. In my case, I do not want to alter the
product itself. I am going to be designing several sites with their own needs and
wants. So, I have to rely on customizing each individual one and not the product
itself.

I have even went as far as deleting the about_slot to remove the box from the site.
However, it still shows up. I am fairly new to CMF and Plone, so I am lost as to why
this is happening.

I will definately keep in touch and offer up any solutions I find.

Stacy

Tim Lynch wrote:

> as you can see from my separate post to plone-developers, I've got a similar
> problem to you in trying to create a custom about box.  What George
> is suggesting you look at in the ui_slots stuff is just what I've been
> playing with ... to no avail.
>
> are you editing the filesystem files or are you using the Customize button
> to create ZODB versions you can edit through the zope management interface?
>
> if you're editing the filesystem files themselves, you can see the results
> of your editing if you add _another_ plone site after you have edited the
> fs files.  finally grokked that last night.
>
> but, I believe you should be able to use the Customize button, create a
> copy of a template/method/whatever, and edit that copy to effect changes to
> a pre-existing site.  at least I think so.  I'll be mighty disappointed if
> that's not true.
>
> sigh
>
> if/when I figure it out, I'll let you know how I did it
>
> keep in touch
>
> - Tim
>
> > hi stacy
> >
> > take a look at how the calendar and other "slots" are implemented and base
> > your news_slot off of that, see esp.: /portal_skins/plone-templates/ui_slots
> > and look at main_left_column. You will soon figure it out, or ask some more
> > specific questions. :)
> >
> > <-->
> > george donnelly - http://zettai.net/ - "We Love Newbies" :)
> > Zope Hosting - Dynamic Website Design - Search Engine Promotion
> >
> > > From: "Stacy Roberts Ladnier" <Stacy.Roberts@noaa.gov>
> > >
> > > I looked over Chapter 5. My index_html file never had a reference to the
> > > news_box. I am using Plone so I think that may be the difference. I don't
> > > want the About box to be displayed either. I have even deleted everything to
> > > do with it, and it still shows up. I have cleared out my History and all. I
> > > am so lost. Please Help

--------------96A6B3691AB9DA16D1F2E365

begin:vcard
n:Ladnier;Stacy