[Zope-CMF] Plone/Metadata/FUD

hazmat hazmat@objectrealms.net
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:09:05 -0700

my two cents, those who are easily offended are advised to close their eyes
while reading ;-)

Plone is a customization of the CMFDefault to add functionality, useability,
and look and feel. 90% of the problems i've heard so far, basically relate to
look and feel, ie trivial changes to skins. and honestly, considering that
plone basically looks *much, much* better than the cmf default, including
many useability improvements, i can't understand how anyone could expect it
to mirror the location and functionality of the CMFDefault.

Plone does provide additional tool functionality, but the use of those tools
is entirely optional.

as a developer, i've written several products for the cmf, everyone of them
works fine with plone, and without plone. as a developer deciding whether or
not to use plone, its a fairly easy equation, i can spend the time to make a
site look good using cmf default, or i can fix the occasional trivial problem
from some third-party product thats using a slightly different skin. as
someone who readily admits their ui design skill sux, its a fairly easy to
justify 5 minutes fixing a product skin, vs hrs, days, and weeks spent
working on cmf ui.

the other thing i'm hearing is about compatiblity with workflow,  which is a
big copout imo. because i've used plone with alternative workflows, and it
works fine. if other products can't work well with a different workflow
because they are *hardcoded* to a particular workflow, i consider that a
product bug. simple as that.

does anyone consider CMFDefault a fork of the CMF?, its a customization that
adds useability and functionality that mirrors usecases that for zope.org,
but its hardly an end user product. i don't see developers running to use
CMFCore bare, because it doesn't provide alot of functionality and useability
from a developer pov. in a similiar vein i do see users flocking to use
plone, because for them it provides functionality and useability out of the
box. these aren't forks they are progressively layerd systems that build
functionality that users and developers can avail themselves of. ie
Zope->CMFCore->CMFDefault->Plone.

also i'd like to note that this conversation has been mostly civil (with one
noteable exception), of which i'm glad, please lets keep it that way.

cheers,

-haz