[Zope-CMF] Plone/Metadata/FUD

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:31:07 +0100

I think the plone team are doing a lot to bring people into the Zope
fold.  It looks cool and make several usability improvements over
CMFDefault.  I don't care if you call it a fork or a layer, if more
people are using Zope/CMF then I'm happier.  I would rather 10,000 more
people were using 20 forks of the CMF, rather than 100 people were using
a single CMF implementation.  Let's get people on board; let's worry
about the other stuff once we have sufficient momentum from a large
enough community.  And this from someone who doesn't even use plone :^)

> A recently-recommended book says "[m]ost conflicts are based in
> differing interpretations of the facts."  We should step back from heavy
> artillery and find out how the situation can be improved for all our
> viewpoints.

One observation I draw from this discussion is that we should have some
kind of conceptual / infrastructural framework for differentiating
between Implementations (CMFDefault / Plone) and Framework (CMFCore).

Ever since the CMF began, most people consistently (and understandably)
don't get the relationship  between Core and Default.

In the future, I would like to see CMF releases available in 2 (or more)
*separate* parts:

1) Download the CMF (actually just CMFCore)
2) Download an implementation (currently a choice of CMFDefault, Plone,
mmmanager...)

This approach has the advantages of keeping the conceptual break clean,
and also possibly encouraging people to think outside the CMFDefault box
a bit more.  There are more types of website than the member-centric
document-centric portal...

seb