[Zope-CMF] Fwd: [imeme] Apache and cookies

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:20:44 +0100

I believe it is a boundary condition resulting from the interaction
between mod_proxy and the cookies mechanism.  People have had results
with various workarounds, such as renaming the cookie, but the only
reliable thing to do is upgrade to 1.3.26.

Furthermore you should not be using 1.3.24 anyway, because it had a
serious vulnerability (chunked-encoding issue).

If you use RedHat, note that the latest RPMs have the chunked-encoding
fix but not the mod_proxy / cookies fix.

> So (and correct me if I am wrong) apahce isn't eating the cookie so much as
> something is stopping it getting set or it isn't getting set correctly. How do
> cookies work? Are they based on the domain? maybe the domain cookie crumbler
> trys to use when not directly on zope is different from the direct one? Does
> anyone know how I could check this out?

Cookies cannot be read between domains, and foo:8080 is a different
domain from foo.

If you want to see what is going on, use a packet sniffer like tcpdump,
etherreal, or shane's sniffer thingum whose name I've forgotten.

seb