Development methodology (Re: [Zope-CMF] Future CMF) (rant)

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:37:50 -0300

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 06:24:55PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> Providing an implementation prior to a discussion of the design would not
> necessarily produce good designs, just faster implementations.

I did not ask for an implementation first, but a *prototype*. I do firmly
believe a well-written prototype is better documentation for intent,
analysis and design than what we're doing currently.

A prototype may or may not be the basis for the actual implementation.
People who write prototypes are (should be) prepared to throw away.

But it is a much less abstract thing to discuss. We currently lose precious
time trying to figure what one another meant, "how would this work in
practice", and "what would such method return under such circumstances".

I'm not saying this is the only problem we have, either. It sure wasn't why
I wrote Alt-TAL. But it sounds like an improvement to me. As a human, I may
of course be wrong.

[]s,
                                               +----
--