[Zope3-dev] Development methodology (Re: [Zope-CMF] Future CMF) (rant)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 04:43:42 -0400

Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 10:21:11AM +0200, Paul Everitt wrote:

I won't repeat comments that other have made about the \
benefits of planning early, but

> My suggestion is that we move to a model more similar to the PEP system. The
> *first* artifact necessary for a project is a prototype. If the author
> doesn't yet know the details, it's ok to raise a discussion on the list or
> IRC, but then it isn't yet officially a "project", just a discussion.

Prototyping first is often a good way to start. The file-system synchronization
proposal I made recently was preceeded by a prototype.  Prototypes, especially
throw-away prototypes can be a good way to work out ideas early.  The process
certainly doesn't prohibit prototypes.

Sometimes, prototypes aren't useful or needed early on. So I certainly would
not require them.

I have too often seen people treat prototype code as a substitute for
documentation. I *hate* this. I get really mad when someone couches a
proposal or question soley in form of source code and expects me to
pull apart the code to understand what they are trying to say.

Jim