[Zope-CMF] Re: Metadata Toolz

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:52:10 -0700

Some thoughts about metadata:

- Every type of component in a CMS has metadata:
	==> Content objects have metadata
	==> Metadata can have metadata too:
		==> Relationships between content objects (which are both
content, in a sense, and rich metadata as well) have metadata
	==> Views (which are also content) have metadata about them
	==> Software assets have metadata
	==> Workflow: Activities and States have metadata

- A metadata system should be storage/implementation-actor agnostic, and
support the ability for objects to implement their own metadata, or not (and
have a tool act on their behalf to defer to for implementation).
	==> There are times when it is appropriate to derive metadata from
content objects themselves (for example, in the case of content objects
created in external systems that have metadata prior to ever being in Zope).
A good example is relationships: a news article may come from a media
production system and be imported into Zope/CMF with a reference to an
associated image.  In this case, there is a relationship intrinsic to the
said document, but there might be other relationships best managed outside
the object.
	==> In other cases (often), metadata should be stored outside the
object, and methods should be implemented on behalf of a content object, not
by it.

- I think DCMES is a good core set that should be the minimum price of entry
for all content objects; if they don't implement this on their own, they
would do it with help from a tool.  Mapping of other metadata schemes to
DublinCore should be simple (perhaps drop-in schemas with scripts that
implement DublinCore methods from other metadata sets, as well as mappings
to obtain metadata-from-data); Tres is right, though, that mapping might
involve "loss of fidelity" (for example, even with full implementation of DC
Relation Qualifiers, this alone can't express, very meaningful, rich
information about relationships.

- I'm starting to think that every component of the system should have
metadata associated with it; even the relationships between objects and the
activities associated with them; even the software components and "view"
objects that render compositions of objects should have metadata.  Relevant
standards for each of these types of components should be determined, and
all should map to one basic set (DCMES+Qualifiers, IMHO).

- DCMES is necessary, but potentially not sufficient for a default set,
there may be a few other core properties for content on top of the DCMES and
its qualifiers (though I am not sure).

Sean