[Zope-CMF] Applying worklfow to a user registration process?

Phil Glaser StillSmallVoice@DirectvInternet.com
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:31:29 -0400

Hi,

The registration mechanism for my site needs to be fairly complex: a site
administrator has to be able to create a user or a set of users without
necessarily making those users "active." Rather, what would happen is that
the users would receive an e-mail from the system saying "you have been
invited to use this application, go the following link and register." Once
the user has registered, there are some additional things the administrator
would have to do in order to complete the process, such as assign specific
permissions (the admin doesn't want to do that until the user registers
because there needs to be a meaningful password in place and in some cases
the users won't end up signing it all, and the admin doesn't want to waste
his time setting up permissions unless the user is serious). In effect, the
user registration process needs to be governed by a workflow. I know that
CMF content types have a default workflow, but I have not seen this
mechnaism applied to user objects. How much of a big deal would it be to
integrate user objects with a workflow? Has anyone done it? Is there a
better way?

Many thanks!

Philip Glaser
Principal and Software Architect