[Zope-CMF] Re: reStructuredText

hazmat hazmat@objectrealms.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:38:33 -0700

On Friday 25 October 2002 03:45 am, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Jeffrey P Shell  <jeffrey@cuemedia.com> wrote:
> > > Actually if this is a tool to give to users, both of those are much too
> > > complicated, and there is too much magic in them. A plain user doesn't
> > > want things 'like that' to appear in <code>, or things "like that": to
> > > appear like a link. Way too much magic. Also underline is rarely used,
> > > stars don't delimit text well enough, etc.
> >
> > There's no such thing as a plain user.  That's too broad of a term, but
> > I do understand what you're talking about.  I've decided to punt on the
> > issue altogether, use 'newline_to_br' type formatting, and let the
> > structure of headers and such come out of a compound document (the
> > still-not-public FDoc framework), which has special Part editors for
> > lists of links, images, and so on.
>
> newline_to_br is probably a good choice, yes. It alleviates a lot of
> problem.
>
> As for the rest of your message, you're right, no feature set will ever
> be enough for all users, and those markups are just reinventing bits of
> HTML. But that doesn't mean it's not simpler for the users (there is a
> lot of redundant typing in writing <b>foo</b> instead of **foo**).
>
> Things are never good enough for users unless we give them rich text
> editors or (structured) WYSYWIG à la Xopus or Bitflux.

if anyone would be willing to sponsor, i'd do it... i talked to the xopus guys
and jim about this at oscom. its doable,  i think. with autogenerated xslts
from pts and xml data views of objects.

> Anyway what's needed is flexibility in that department, and a
> portal_text would be nice indeed. I'm thinking about it.

i thought about this a little. it seems straight forward, a tool with
registration for various format cooking utilities, and exposed api methods to
cook a block of text. then its up to documents/content to contact the tool
upon rendering and offer ui options for switching rendering modes.

-haz