[Zope-CMF] Plong/CMF lack of speed?

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:10:01 +0200

Johan Carlsson [Torped] wrote:
> At 11:56 2002-09-09 +0200, Magnus Heino wrote:
>>
>> I'd say your machine is too old ;)
>
> Efficient software may also provide longer life time for hardware,
> which could save money in the long run.

I once read a line that I took to heart. It goes something like :

"Anybody who is betting their bussines on a website that cannot run on a
P133 with 128MB will loose."

Naturally it is not a law of nature. But I have seen it proven to be
correct many times. What he meant was that if the programmers couldn't
get their stuff to run on that kind of machine, they where not competent
  to write mission critical software to begin with.

So my alarm bells has started ringing several times when ie. a
subcontractor needed 2-3 big fat machines to run their custom data
replication software between the economy system and the intranet.

That much processor power to solve a simple table to table replication
on two different databases really should not be nessecary.

One should expect some kind of O^2 algorithm when that happens and fix it.

And if Plone works nicely on a 1200 MHz system serving about 1 page pr.
second, well then we will only need a 60 machine cluster to get 60 pages
pr. second ... In that case I think that Plone is broken!

But lets fix that in 1.1 not in 1.0. First feature completion, then
optimization. But Plone really should work with enough speed out of the
box to drive a small to medium based website.

People will find it ok to do proxy-caching and other kind of
optimisation tuning for big sites. But setting up a proxy for a small
site? ... please!

And which hosting company in their right mind would add a component to
their zope sites that takes 1 CPU second to serve a single page ???

regards Max M