[Zope-CMF] DocumentLibrary and CMF/Plone question

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:09:38 -0400

In short DocumentLibrary =3D=3D Apple and CMF =3D=3D Orange ;^)

DocumentLibrary is a document managment system application with taxonical=
=20
indexing, full text searching on popular file formats and simple meta dat=
a.=20
It also has a very minimal workflow and the ui is customizable through DT=
ML.

CMF is a framework for building content management system applications. I=
t is=20
much more general then DL. You could use CMF to build the DL (and I proba=
bly=20
would were I to do it over now).

So the main benefit for DL is that it is a finished application out of th=
e=20
box. Assuming it meets your requirements you just customize it to your ne=
eds.=20
It is extensible most easily with TTW code and using whatever Zope facili=
ties=20
you like.

The CMF is much more flexible (and uncarved) and would be a better choice=
 if=20
DL does not satisfy your requirements very well. You will do more legwork=
,=20
but you'll probably understand the application more thoroughly.

As for the the full text searching, TextIndexNG will give you similar=20
functionality (it was derived from DL actually). Or you could just use th=
e=20
DocumentFile class from DL as a base for a CMF content class.

hth,

-Casey