[Zope-CMF] how to shorten long CMF/Plone urls for emailing colleagues

Wostenberg pwos@attbi.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:44:29 -0600

Here's a cookbook for us plone newbies I wanted to run by the experts.

Problem: You want a human-readable notation for documents posted into a
(Plone) site, so one can send the URLS to colleagues in email.
For example a document in a folder titlted "vouchers" called "statement
of work" has a plone url like
somesite.com/Members/awostenberg/Folder.2002-09-12.3107/Document.2002-09-12.3205
The long URL is really to long to email to internet novitiates.

Solution I used the Plone rename the document id (not the title) of
folder and item to:
   somesite.com/Members/awostenberg/vouchers/sow

Experts, are there any bad side effects to this? What if it was
previously posted as a news item. Would it's link be broken in
somesite.com/news now?

-Alan
http://www.psalmweaver.com