[Zope-CMF] cmf.zope.org is OFFLINE

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:17:11 -0700

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 09:01:24PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 12:47, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 12:20:05PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> > >   - The initial problem with the cmf.zope.org site was the result of a
> > >     sysadmin mistake:  the admin working on packing the www.zope.org
> > >     storage (which is up over 9Gb at the moment) accidentally killed the
> > >     CMF storage server.  For most of yesterday, the appservers were
> > >     running purely of their ZEO caches.
> >
> > does your normal monitoring detect this situation? i.e. get
> > an uncached test page directly from the storage server?
>
> The storage server can't serve pages, it only serves objects.  We
> normally monitor that the process is up, but don't (I think) try to
> retrieve anything from it (I could be wrong about that last).

Currently I'm testing this by trying to make a connection to the
storage server, using this code from zctl.py from
http://www.zope.org/Members/dshaw/AdvancedSiteSetup:

def _check_for_service(host, port):
    """Return 1 if server is found at (host, port), 0 otherwise."""
    try:
        s.connect( (host, int(port)) )
        return 1
    except socket.error:
        return 0

--

Paul Winkler
"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"