[Zope-CMF] Re: [Plone-developers] CMF NewsFeed / News aggregation

hazmat hazmat@objectrealms.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:13:52 -0700

On Thursday 19 September 2002 03:20 pm, Andy McKay wrote:
> > i could use one of these as well, what do you want in it?
> >
> > i'll write one up.
>
> Great I want one too ;)

cool.

> - Parsing of RSS 2.0

wow, i never even new it existed. looks like it came out in the last couple of
weeks. geez, reading up on it, and it looks like their is some serious is
nastiness going on in that development community. death threats and
slander... makes me glad to be a zoper :-)

> - Adding new items in (so you get a list of all the articles over time) or
> delete and refresh (so you only have the ones given at each stage), Ideally
> each headline, thing would be a single catalogued object.

ok. here's my basic design

portal_rss_tool_thingy, which does catalog search to aggregate all the
channels, to expose an xml-rpc api to update the channels. it also provides a
point to provide some constraints on allowable channels, and whatever other
things need to get hacked in to the system.

RSS Document thingy, an rss content type, parses remote syndication feeds.

RSS Item thingy, represents an individual item.

> - ZEO compatible of course.

check, its easy to be zeo compatible if you ignore zeo ;-)

> Cheers, yell if you need a hand.

will do. comments on the design would be appreciated. the use of thingy in the
names is optional ;-)

-haz