[Zope-CMF] Making a CMF Document render DTML

Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:27:05 -0400

I know :)

As I mentioned in one of my e-mails, although I understand the philosophy,
there's a big difference between theory and practice! CMF staisfies many of
my needs, with this one problem  There's just no in between it seems.  If
one wants to benefit from templating and workflows, then one has to submit
to having this complete and utter seperation ... If one wants renderable
content (DTML/ZPT) then one cannot take advantage of the benefits of CMF
without a non negligeable amount fo work, since one would have to create
completely new content types.

I elaborated on the specifics of my requirements in one of my messages in
this thread.  Apparently I'm not the only one in my situation!

So I'm just inquiring to see if anyone has any ideas or solutions how to
implement a CMF Object that also renders DTML (Or ZPT ... looks like Andrew
Sawyers did implement that).

I guess you could say I want layered templates. If I can have DTML inside a
CMF Document, I have a template over a template.  Not a bad thing IMHO.
Gives me huge amounts of power as to what I can accomplish and how flexible
I can be.  A nice option to be had, this would only ADD capabilties too, not
remove any.  Those that have the need for the CMF in it's present form would
loose nothing, they can keep this separation if they like.

Anyways, I'll take a look at Andrew's work, and hopefully be able to get
something working that will satisfy my needs. (i'm hoping ideally the CMF
Documment will have 3 options, STX, HTML, or DTML, or hey maybe 4 and add
ZPT to that :).

To summarize: I disagree that content is not logic. Content is not
presentation, sure, but not logic? Content can be derived from logic. Logic
can generate content ... Maybe it's a matter of semantics.

Anyways, my .02$

cheers,
J.F.