[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] Dublin Core Creator(s): a small proposal

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Dec 15 16:59:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 16:42, Yuppie wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Tonico Strasser wrote:
> > 'Creators' is not an element of the Dublin Core standard. Therefore I
> > would not mark 'Creator' as deprecated because it is an element of the
> > standard[1].
> >
> > 'Creator' could be a string representation of the sequence 'Creators':
> >
> >   Creators = ['Name 1', 'Name 2', ...]
> >   Creator = "Name 1, Name 2, ..."
> >
> > [1] <http://dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/elements.shtml#creator>
>
> Quoting from your link: "Creators should be listed separately,
> preferably in the same order that they appear in the publication."
>
> Listing more than one creator in a Creator element violates the
> standard. You are right that 'Creators' isn't a Dublin Core element, but
> the proposed method represents an ordered list of 'Creator' elements.

Strictly speaking, *any* DC element is repeatable.  Let's stick with the
pattern used by the "*Date" elements:  reserve the "initial caps" name
for the string version, and use a more natural method name for the one
which delivers a more natural representation.  E.g., call the new method
'creators';  have the 'Creator' method return the
equivalent of '"; ".join( self.creators() )'.

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com