[Zope-CMF] mass portal member pruning/management/deletion?

Marc Lindahl marc at bowery.com
Sun Dec 21 14:13:34 EST 2003

Before I start this little project I want to get some feedback and see
if anyone else has done this or has some code to share, etc.

I want to do the following on my CMF/plone public portal:

1. during join, the user's password is emailed to them.  I want to
immediately try to send that email, and if the MTA gives back an error
(such as 'user not found')  let them try again.  I've found (from
running a CMF site for 2 years) that I get a fair number of people
putting in the wrong email address accidentally.  Also, this should
prevent the creation of any user stuff if there's a problem there.

1a. check the email address during join for uniqueness.  If there's
already a username with that email, notify the user that such and such
username exists and 'click to send password'.

1b. Getting a little fancier... a 'banned' list.  It's an important
part of any community site, really.  Banned by email address, banned by
IP address....

2. send a mass mail to everyone on the site.  And important but
infrequent admin function (e.g. "site is going down for maintenance",
etc.).  As such I don't care if it takes all night to send the mail (in
other words, fancy async threads, etc. aren't important).  But what is
important is that errors from the MTA are collected in such a way as to
allow....

3. mass pruning/deletion/maintenance of members.  There should be a
quick easy way to put in a large list of members, either by username or
matching email address, and be able to at least delete them, but also
possibly send them a message via CMFMessage (e.g. your folder is too
big, stuff will be deleted in 10 days).  It would be nice if step#2
above would lead to the deletion form, pre-populated with members with
bad email addresses.  Also, there was a thread before about 'what to do
with deleted member's contents?' and I think it would be good to have
the option to move it to a 'deleted members' sub/folder or just get rid
of it.

3a. have various other ways of 'prepopulating' this pruning list:
Member folder size, last login (inactive users), duplicate
username/email, pasted 'lines' into a form of either usernames and/or
email addresses.

3b. various things you do with your list: delete (with/without
archive), send mail, send CMFMessage, ban (IP/email).

Has anyone tackled any of this stuff?

Thanks,
Marc