[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.4 Roadmap

Gregoire Weber gregoire.weber@switzerland.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:47:14 +0100

Hi all,

(Seb you got that e-mail already, I forgot the list on my first submit.)

I'm working on something similar named CMFCollections. I released
a pre alpha version (wired with zope.ch stuff) on 2002/11/29 with=20
many bugs in it. Code and Structure is somewhat crappy and buggy.
This version only works with Plone 1.0beta1 (as I remember).

It is productive on http://www.zope.ch (the site of Zope User=20
Group Switzerland, in german)

The code contains some ugly parts, so be warned. It's better to read=20
the documentation (CMFCollection.pdf) in=20

  =
 <http://www.zope.org/Members/gregweb/CMFCollection/CMFManualCollection.zip>

Didn't know about Sebs work. I'm currently working on it because=20
I need that for a customer.

So I'll be interested in your (Seb's) work.

Greg

At 11:59 22.01.2003 +0000, seb bacon wrote:
>We have been using a home-grown solution to the compound question in=
 production for nearly 2 years now, and I keep promising to release it. It=
 is sufficiently generic to solve all sorts of

>> 1. Building a single web page out of multiple content objects
>
>type problems.  I have never had time to release it because it, too, is=
 very bound up in customer work and would take a while to extract.

>The short description: a 'page' is folderish.  'components' are existing=
 Types inside the page, or other pages.  The page uses templates to display=
 the components.  The components decide how to display themselves depending=
 on a 'slots' definition in the page.  For example, I create a 'HomePage'=
 page; I go to its 'slots' tab; I add 'text_1' and 'image_1' components into=
 the slots; I declare that when I use the 'view' action on the HomePage, I=
 should display the components' 'view_component' action; and when I use the=
 'edit' action, I should use the components' 'edit_component' action.  I can=
 also define slots' default content when they are added, and metadata.

>However, I am hopeful that I could at least extract the core of it and post=
 some TODO notes which someone else could take up, if they have time.  I=
 will make a special effort to start to do that in the next 2 weeks (hmm,=
 I've said that before...)

>Therefore it is unlikely to make it into a 1.4.
>
>However, I would strongly urge people to wait and see mine or Jeffrey's=
 solutions before going ahead with this.  It is an important issue and it's=
 worth getting right.

>Seb

Gr=E9goire Weber
mailto:gregoire.weber@switzerland.org