[Zope-CMF] Store development with CMF (new guy)

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:43:47 +0200

In article <1054309420.1840.21.camel@beauty> you write:
> > No, it never was.  But now that I look at RegistrationTool, I see that
> > someone removed the method for setting member properties!  Yet it was
> > left in the interface.  I'm sure someone meant well, but this is not
> > what was intended.  The loss of that method means you really do have to
> > access the memberdata tool directly. :-(
>
> The registration tool won't be present either, on sites which do not
> allow through-the-web registration.  If we consider the memberdata tool
> to be a private detail of the membership tool, then we must extend the
> contract of the membership tool (*not* the registration tool) to allow
> setting properties (getting them is already done by the member object
> fetched via 'wrapUser').

Yes, and we must extend it to discover the list of available properties
too (someone already mentionned it in this thread).

This is something which is currently done with
portal_memberdata.propertyIds() and which frankly I don't see as a
problem -- the contract of portal_memberdata is to manage members' data,
if the underlying user folder gives the user properties of its own then
portal_memberdata should make them available transparently. I don't see
why this tool should be a private implementation detail of
portal_membership, even if it's how it was originally designed.

Also, the search API of portal_membership is woefully inadequate, I'd
like to propose that it be extended at least to a multicriteria search.

Florent