[Zope-CMF] Re: I18n-skins: Why I did what I did :-)

Gitte Wange gitte@mmmanager.org
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:18:17 +0100

Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 07:25, Yuppie wrote:
>

>>Gitte Wange wrote:
>>
>>>Well I wanted to help out as well :-)
>>>But I don't have checkin-rights so I just wanted to know if any patches should
>>>be sent to you ?
>>
>>Maybe you should get checkin-rights? ;)
>

> I'd be happy to push a contributor agreement through.

Well ... how to do ?

>>Or you can send patches for yuppie-collector122-branch to me. But I
>>think we should discuss the question of msgids further before you work
>>on a patch.
>>
>>The more I think about msgids, the more I'm against using msgids everywhere.
>>
>>Using the English text as msgid, you always know if something has
>>changed. Sometimes it's important to re-translate the English text.
>>
>>And you always know *what* you translate.
>

> Can somebody from each side draft a proposal for / against the use of
> msgids?  I don't have enough direct experience using I18N / L10N tools
> to have a feel for the tradeoffs, but I don't see consensus emerging
> here.

Well is there some place proposals are located for cmf ?
Then we could make it there ... ??

>>>Hmm .... I haven't been trying the .po files yet, because I didn't know how to
>>>get them into the messagecatalog and stuff like that. But I think it would be
>>>the best approach. If it's decided to use the .po files, they should be
>>>located in a directory named locale.
>>
>>I don't think CMF should ship with a message catalog. .po* files are
>>much better to maintain in cvs.
>>
>>I'm not sure if CMF should ship with any translations. Maybe there
>>should be an other place to download .po files. But a .pot file would be
>>good as a reference for msgids.
>>
>>Should the locale directory in root or in CMFDefault? I guess one
>>catalog for CMFDefault, CMFTopic and CMFCalendar would be enough, so
>>locale would be a cross package directory.
>

> I don't think this will work;  there will be no sane way to discover
> the location of the 'locale' directory if it is not nested inside a
> product.  (The top-level "CMF-1.x" directory is not "bound" to the
> product directories after installation).

I think there should be a 'locale' directory in every product. Then the
translations won't get mixed up, and you don't need a particular CMF
product in order to have the translations.

Greetings,
Gitte Wange