[Zope-CMF] Dealing with reserved IDs, due to portal_skins

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:36:47 -0500

The standard id checking in CMF prevents a non-manager to create any object
with an id similar to what is already in the acquisition path. This would
seem fine at a first glance, but actually it reduces the chances of
end-users to choose intuitive, easy-to-remember ids for their own stuff.

For example, logged as a regular member, I can't create a folder and name it
"Images" because there's already one named like that within portal_skins.
While as a manager I can rename the one in portal_skins to another rare id,
that doesn't prevent the user to eventually fall into this same problem
again, with another object's name.

Has anyone dealed with this before? What were your strategies? Does it make
sense to modify the portal_skins id look-up routine, so that we can reduce
the number of overall reserved ids to its minimum?

Ausum