[Zope-CMF] Optimizing catalog queries

Gitte Wange gitte at mmmanager.org
Mon Nov 10 06:48:19 EST 2003

Mandag 10 november 2003 12:03   skrev Seb Bacon:
> Gitte Wange wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a CMF site that has been running a little slow but after I changed
> > the values for the cache parameters, it's running much faster.
> > The only thing slowing the forintpage down now, is a calendar on the
> > frontpage.
> >
> > I have been reading about the DateIndex and DateRangeIndex which should
> > improve speed a bit ?
>
> It depends on how many objects are indexed, but I've seen the rendering
> time of pages improve from 12 seconds to <1 second when I've used
> DateIndexes instead of FieldIndexes.
>
> You should always see an improvement using DateIndexes or
> DateRangeIndexes over FieldIndexes.  Don't forget to change effective,
> expires, modified etc into DateRangeIndexes too.

They should be DateRangeIndexes ?

> DateRangeIndex is for things which should be between two dates, e.g.
> time 'A' where 'effective' < 'A' < 'expires'; google for examples.

I have googled and found a lot of hits but nothing that really explained it -
will try again.

To me it seems that the Range indexes does the
portal_catalog.searchResults(start=DateTime(), start_usage='range:min')
stuff?

Will dig into that ...

--
Gitte Wange
Technical Manager

Email: gitte at mmmanager.org
Web: http://www.mmmanager.org
Tlf: +45 36 46 20 02

After 1.5 years of Python, I'm still discovering
richness (and still unable to understand what the
hell Jim Fulton is talking about).

    -- Gordon McMillan, 13 Mar 1998