[Plone-developers] Re: [Zope-CMF] Re: __browser_default__ broken in CMF 1.4.x

Kapil Thangavelu k_vertigo at mac.com
Tue Sep 30 02:01:28 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 01:07  PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Also, I think that while method aliases are a good idea, implementing
> them with a traversal hack is a bad idea.  It will kill whatever
> performance we have left after all the other hacks we've done.  It's
> shoehorning too much into Zope 2.

i've been away from cmf dev for several months so maybe i'm a bit
behind the times, but why is this even in CMF? is it adding features
for the sake of adding features? are users really typing in urls, is it
that much trouble to query a ti for action urls or abstracting that? is
there a proposal for this anywhere? i say this because it breaks
several things i've worked on, static deployment and subversion/fs
integration ( the latter being a place where traversal hooks are
actually needed) and i dont see the rational.

> The more interesting thing to do is to make something acquired from
> the root of the portal that dispatches to skin methods based on the
> type of the context.  For example, if we want an "edit" method alias,
> we might create a skin method called "edit" that dispatches to
> "document_edit" if it's applied to a document, "news_edit" for news,
> etc.  We could continue to use the existing machinery for setting up
> aliases, but we wouldn't use a traversal hook.

in comparison to traverse hacks, this sounds much better.

-kapil